Thursday, June 10, 2010

first morning in Ethiopia

Good morning Africa!!! Your favorite mazoongu is back. For those back in the states, that means white person. It is such a catchy word. Might just be that I hear it so much riding around. All the kids will point and scream mazoongu or wazoongu for white people. It is almost like we are from another planet. I have been anticipating this day since I left last summer. The flight was long, but not so bad. Wayne got me bumped up to first class. I tell you, it is a little different from sitting in the back. you have a foot rest to kick your feet up. Television and games to pass the time. Crazy amount of leg room to do kick aerobics. Four beautiful woman to take care of you. Oh! The little hot towels were not so bad either. It would probably be best not to hang with my parents and the Browns on vacations. I get spoiled, as if I got the money to live the good life too. We all know thou, I am just another crazy mazoongu trying to make a name for himself in this big world. I don't need fame or the luxury. I just want to enjoy life, make new friends, and do my part. Most who are reading this know of my travels last year to this great continent. I came on a whim, not knowing that it would be one of the greatest times of my life. I left last year with a racing mind. Thinking to myself. What can I do next time to bring more awareness to a school, hospital, and a region of great people. I took an idea from a great woman from Australia named Anni. The idea was to return with my own video camera to capture moments. Moments that I hope can be shared by people back home through a video. So, here I am. A dude, with a camera, and a trigger happy pointer finger. I have no clue what I will shoot, how much I will shoot, or if I can put it all together. What I do know is that I am willing to try. One thing I learned last year about these people is their resilience. They have so much faith that we are missing in the states. As a matter of fact, in the world. Africa has been a land of devastation. They are giving very little, yet they survive. Most of them do it with a positive attitude. I have skated by with my life. Never accepting the consequences of what life brings. I owe my life to my parents. If it was not for them, than I would be nothing in this world. Most of these people here are not fortunate enough to say that. Many young kids here are forced to look after themselves. Some even take care of their younger siblings or family members. My challenge to myself is to be half the man that these men here are. I hope you all keep up with my blog. I will try to keep in interesting. I will be posting pictures as well. I must prepare for the next leg of my flight to Nairobi. I hope all is well!

Aaron Swafford

1 comment:

  1. Excellent idea! I am excited to see all the film you shoot. film is so powerful. Have fun in Tanzania!

    ReplyDelete