Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Monday-first day at school

I was starting to get the feeling that the week was just to easy. Than came the first day at the school. My trumpet is now tooting a different beat. So, we got the clinic started. The building had begun. Finally, what we had all come to do was upon us. I was looking forward to get back into the clinic. There was only a few classes from primary school that we saw today. It was part of the older primary kids. So their health was for the most part, very good. There was a few ear infections. A couple fungal problems. A lot of scrapes and cuts. You would really expect no less with the rocks that jolt out of the ground here. The biggest problem we saw with the age group today was thrush. There was also a few kids with hernias. Nearly every child was in good need of ear cleaning. Throw the othoscope in the ear canal and what do you discover. Just enough ear wax to build a wall. This day was so much better than our first day last year. We did start with the pre school kids thou last year. You can see how well the health improves as the grades increase. A true testimate to what the schools does and provides for these children.

Since this was our first day, the children performed for us. It was a nice change from last year. Although, I was hoping to see my two guys do a rap routine again. These kids are so talented. They have alot of help from Peter and a few other teachers. Some of the kids even come up with their own routine. Anni, Mercy did such a wonderful skit. She was so lively. Everyone was really loud during her performance. It was the only performance I was not able to get clearly. She already said she will perform it again to just me and the camera. That way you can see it for yourself.

Most of the men from North Carolina got started on building. There was so much going on at the school. It was a bit crazy today. I was even asked to teach a chemistry class again today. I spent a little bit of my time hiding. I do not really get into teaching all that much. I do not really mind it, but it is hard to teach something when you do not know where the kids lie on the subject. From my experience teaching a class last year. I gatherd that these kids were sharp and knew a few things. But they were lacking in some basic knowledge in chemistry. So for that, I did not want to jump in there and blow some kids heads off. I am so disapointed in the material
that the Kenyan government provides for the classes. It is such a small book. And those of you who have taking chemistry or physics before. Those are not small books. A normal chemistry book can contain around 500 or more pages. The chemistry book they use here is like 100 pages. Pages, which are half the size of our books. So you get a paragraph to learn from. Today, the teacher wanted me to teach acid and bases. I can go over that, but than I read her book. All it talks about is acids are usually bitter tasting in your mouth. I was like, "are you serious?" There is so much more to it than that. I don't know how these teachers can fill up 45 minutes teaching about that. I thought it was a little crazy myself. I want to bring in better books and change their science curriculumn. But I keep hearing, Kenya has its own guidelines. I want
to tell the government that Chemistry is a world wide subject. No matter where you go, it does not change. I had books to bring, but left them at home. Not that I would of been able to carry them on the plane. The airlines where already making me take things out of my bag. Kept saying you need to put stuff in your carry on. That was fine, but than you get to Ethiopia airlines. They only allow 15 pounds for your carry on. So than you got to start stuffing things in the bags from the school. than those are over weight. It is just a never ending story. Soon, you will have to start sending your bags by UPS.

I have already been told that they want me to teach tomorrow. It makes me wonder if they think I can be in all places at once. I need to find out who the culprit is that keeps spreading this rumor that I am the man to teach. The biggest need is in the clinic. We are already under staffed. So, I want to be there. I am happy helping out there. I am also suppose to be putting together video footage, but that has taking a back seat to the clinic. So, I am getting pounded. I will not complain thou. These kids sure do not. So I am looking forward to accomplishing everything. I took the lesson from these children last year, that there is no need to complain. It gets nothing done. I got to run. Hope all is well!

1 comment:

  1. aw thats awesome about mercy's skit! please please definitely make her do it again on camera so I can see!! Tell her I really really want to see it.
    i looked at a photo on another blog and mercy care is huuuge! There are SO many students! that is super exciting.
    hope you get to still film lots of stuff. it's hard when there's so much to do in such a short amount of time hey. I had to be pushy sometimes when filming the documentary and the not defined by poverty film, otherwise it just wouldn't have been done in time. sounds like you are all having an awesome time. again, i am jealous to the max.
    So glad to hear the kids are in better health too!

    ReplyDelete