Saturday, June 19, 2010

saturday in nairobi

Hello to everyone back in the states and to the few in Australia. I have completed just over a week of my stay here in Africa.The trip is 25% over for myself. It has been a lot different of an experience then the previous year. I guess you can never expect to have the same trip, year in, and year out. Last year was a new feeling. I did not know what to expect. I just went with the flow. This year, I am finding myself more comfortable with my surroundings. Also, with the people who are brought along with it. I am picking up some conversational swahili. I am starting to feel more at home here. I must say, it is a good feeling to be among the few wzungus who are blessed to call Africa, a second home. Our journey to Tanzania was wonderful. I was able to see
old friends. I was also able to make new friends. I had become an honorary Maasai. I even got the get up to prove it. I would have a picture to show you. Wouldn't you know it thou, two pictures were taking of me in my gear. Both pictures are the bluriest pictures any one man could take. I should of let Carroll take the pictures, instead of Wayne. I did not know you could mess up a point and click moment. I swam in water shared by crocodiles. Took a walk through the bush, which could of been ended by an animal attack. I would say, I am on my way to being a true African. About the only thing left is to drink the local water. Not going to happen!

Last night was a nice little day on the town. The kids were out of school for the day on a short holiday. So, I found myself at the internet cafe early, and than off to the airport. The second group from North Carolina arrived. It was nice to meet some new faces from the states. This group comes to help build needs for the school. It is a good mixture of men and woman. Both young and a little older. I can not really remember anyone's name very well. At times yesterday, I felt like I was the African tour guide. I would have to lead a line around parts of the shopping centers. I find myself around the mall a good part of my time here, this year. It is where you find the internet cafe and restaurants. I eat out nearly everyday. I starve when I eat at the guest house. Not to mention, it can really hit my stomach hard. So, I just head into town and sit down for a bit to eat. There, I can order what I want, and get plenty of it. Last night was the world cup match between USA and Slovokia. Or Was it Slovenia. It was one of those east
European countries. This is a very upscale mall. So, there are big flat screens all over the food court. I was sitting down enjoying some indian food. Than comes the start of the match. You have both teams flags walked onto the field, followed by the teams itself. So, you listen and watch the Slovok/enia teams national anthem. Then, it is time for the USA. It was the first time I have watched the national anthem for a sporting event outside of my own country. I was a little weary of what to do at first. I am the only white guy around. The only American around. So I just did what was natural. I stood and put my hand over my heart. I began singing the national anthem. I never sing. I sound like a retarded frog. So for good reason, I do not sing. But this time I did. You could see everyone in the food court, who were crowded around tables, looking at me. I was a bit nervous at first, but than my pride set in. I felt great to be an American at that moment. I did it for my country. Africans show a lot of pride in their countries. I had to show alot of pride in my country. The game starts. I was feeling so good about our team. We were looking like the better team. Than, all of a sudden. A goal is scored against the US. I am going crazy. I did not want to show bad spriit in front of everyone. So, I walk around and did a few things. I walk back to check the score. Down 2-0 at that point. Start to shake my head. It is over. We are finished. So I walk around some more. Than I see one of the guys from the group gathered around a differant tv. He goes crazy! He jumps high into the air, landing into the store. Everyone in the mall turns to see what all the fuss is about. The US just tied the score. It felt great. The score ended a tie. Africa has really been alive with the world cup. If I was back in the states, I would probably not watch any of the games. You find yourself doing it here. Maybe, that is because it is on every television.

I spent a good time at the school today. Still no kids, due to the holiday. But, I got a chance to hang out and meet with a few people. The two vans that brought the group into the valley left after an hour. It took the group from North Carolina to the elephant orphanage and giraffe farm. I saw both of those places last year, so I stayed with Wayne at the school. We see the vans off. Than I look over at wayne and say, " Now, we are the only two white guys in the valley." He looks back over and says, " ya, I reckon you are right." So we just head to the office to have some tea. Africans love their tea. I was able to see my good friend Moses. Moses is a teacher at the school. He also is the coach to the futbol team of Mercy Care. The boys had two matches. They have made it to the final 24 teams around the area. This is a great achievement for the school. Especially since Mercy Care has only had a secondary school for over 3 years. Mercy Care is taking on national schools. Big schools with the facilities and equipment. I did not get to watch the game this week. But, I can tell you this. our young men do not have the equipment, nor the facilities to match with these other schools. But some how, out of nearly 100 teams, they have made it to the final 24. They should know in a few weeks if they make it to the next round. They started in January. They have been knocking off some big schools to get to this point. Our young man are only giving a chance to practice on a field twice a week. So they have trully made a tremendous effort to make due with what they have. That is why I feel such power coming from this school. They are coming from the poorest part of the region. It seems as if the whole world is against them. Yet, you do not hear them complain. They are up for the challange. They do not need the shinny uniforms. The top notch shoes or soccer balls. They take what they are giving and they give back more from the joy of being part of the sport. You never stop learning from these young people. I hope that I can do something to help show these futbol players that we notice what they are doing. Most of the schools they are beating are beginning to notice them. They keep saying, " who is Mercy Care? Where do they come from?" They come from one of the poorest slums in the world, The Mathare Valley. The school they represent is one of the richest in talent in the world. I can say this openly, because I do not know of many schools that can achieve what these young people do. Most would be discouraged to compete against teams when they do not look the part with the uniforms. Little less, all the equipment. Their talent does not just lie on the futbol field. They are winning national competions with singing and drama. This school deserves the recognition of its country. I hope that I can do something to show its talent
to our world. They can teach a nation, a continent, and many parts of our world. The amazing thing about it is they do not know this about themselves. Nor, do they care to be put in that position. They just want to get an education, help their families, have fun, and to make it in this harsh world.

I hope there are still some out there reading. I really hope that I have some of my good friends in Orlando reading this. We have been lost guys. I hope you are not out there
drinking and just carrying on. The world will pass us by if we are not ready to make a difference in our own lives and in the lives of others. Hope all is well

4 comments:

  1. awesome post!! and i absolutly loved reading about the soccer!! is cynthia (standard 8) back from Norway yet? she went there for international soccer competition. If she's back I would love for her to write about her trip so I can post it on the valley of hope website if thats fine with her, would love the world to know what these kids are achieving!!
    and that cracked me up about you standing up in the food court singing!
    so the food is questionable at the guesthouse? actually when me and kate were in Uganda, in one guesthouse we ate every meal out because they had no food at all. and the cafe down the road had to go to the shop next door to buy more eggs when we ordered our breakfast! do you still take a van to the school even though its pretty close?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she is back yet anni. I will ask patrick thou when I see him later. The boys lost one match and tied the other. They till have 4 more matches next saturday and the following saturday. So they can still make it. The guest house this year does not compare to the mennonite guest house. The food is not great. I actually got a stomach bug for 3 days after eating breakfast the first day here. So I cut that food out quick. We still take the van to the school. It only takes like 5 minutes. Wayne, Patrick, and I all walked from the school to the guest house yesterday afternoon. It was an interesting walk. It did not bother us at all, but I could see how some people would be uneasy with it. I am going to take the walk again with my camera. I want others to be able to see what the valley is really like. We did have a few guys holler wzungu's to us, so wayne yell's back....wafrikis...all the guys on the block, including patrick busted out laughing...it was great...look forward to seeing you in about 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! thats awesome i am so excited about the soccer teams!
    haha wayne cracks me up.
    oh thats not good, stomach bugs are the worst. when i get a stomach bug, i think its the end of the world. nothing compares. i can put up with anything else, just not that.
    thats really great your going to film your walk. i tried to do that and it turned out really bumpy so i couldn't use much of it, so try to float when you walk haha. i remember when i was filming the documentary, some teachers from the school took me to the heart of the slum where the river is and i got some great shots, so maybe ask them if you can go further into the slum. although its your call cos its quite risky, i had two stoned guys come up to me and that was a little intimidating, wasn't sure what they were going to do but we calmy walked past them and eventually they gave up following us. i cant wait to see your film!

    ReplyDelete